top of page
DK Environmental FAQ Photo
DK Environmental Vehicle



  • How do I know if my loss is covered by insurance?
    The short answer is review your policy. Typically anything that is considered "sudden and incidental" will be covered by your carrier. If something is long-term the carrier will typically deny your claim. For instance, if a pipe burst, a toilet backed up, or a washer overflowed; these are sudden and incidental occurrences. If you have mold and have know about it for quite some time it will very likely be a denied claim.
  • My insurance has a preferred contractor they would like to send out. I am required to use this contractor?
    No. Unless it is specifically mentioned in your policy, something we have never seen before, you may use the contractor of your choice.
  • What is a preferred or recommended contractor?
    These are companies your insurance, in most cases, have agreements in place with in exchange for the job referral. Most of these companies are large restoration franchises, but not all. If you find that the "preferred vendor" is not working out as expected, you may use a contractor of your choice.
  • What is a deductible?
    Your deductible is the amount you will have to pay in order to file your claim. Deductibles can range anywhere from $250-$5000 or more. The most common we see is $500.
  • Is asbestos abatement covered by insurance?
    Yes and no. If you are looking to remove asbestos only, then no. If you have had a water damage or fire involved asbestos-containing materials, in most cases, yes.
  • Will my insurance cover a hotel or alternate living arrangements if I cannot stay in the home?
    In the vast majority of cases, yes. The insurance will typically want you to remain in the home if you have a functioning bathroom or kitchen.
  • How long does it take?
    The average duration of a water mitigation project is 3-5 days.
  • What is a Category 1 Water Damage?
    These losses occur from a clean water source such as a clean water pipe burst or a supply line break. In these types of losses many materials can be dried in place.
  • What is a Category 3 Water Damage?
    This type of water damage involves outside flood or sewer water considered to be "grossly contaminated." This type of damage will require the removal of affected materials such as carpeting, padding, hardwood flooring, and wallboard as the materials cannot be effectively cleaned.
bottom of page